Sunday, July 24, 2016

Cranberry Scones


After some time off for a summer staycation, I returned to work refreshed and also ready for a coworker's surprise bridal shower! I had volunteered to make heart-shaped scones, perfect to get in the mood for wedded bliss. Allrecipes.com came to my rescue again with a recipe for simple scones. I needed a recipe with sour cream instead of buttermilk since I couldn't find it in any of my go-to grocery stores this time of year (June--I guess buttermilk tends to be holiday seasonal). I also attempted self-rising flour once again, though you can definitely make them with all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour. Finally, I substituted Craisins (dried cranberries) for the raisins or currants, since I've had them in scones before and the bright red color is another great symbol of love. Thus, my Cranberry Scones were born!

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour (or self-rising flour)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder (omit if using self-rising flour)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda (omit if using self-rising flour)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (cut back to about 1/4 teaspoon if using self-rising flour)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter (the original recipe recommends it being frozen, but just keeping it at the back of my fridge worked fine for me)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sour cream (I used lowfat Tillamook brand)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Directions:

1.) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda if using, and salt. Use a cheese grater to grate the butter into flakes, then slowly add it in with your hands. Stir in the cranberries.


2.) In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream and egg with a fork until smooth. At this point, you can also add in the almond extract for extra flavor. Then slowly add the sour cream mixture to the flour mixture until the dough starts to form. Use your hands to get the dough fully formed and shaped into a ball (if too sticky, add a little more flour).

3.) Shape the dough into hearts (I made two elongated lumps and squished them together in a "V" to make a heart shape) and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake approximately 15-17 minutes or until golden but not too brown. Cool slightly (about 5 minutes), then remove from the sheet and serve warm.

The directions on Allrecipes.com give options for making Cranberry-Orange Scones, Lemon-Blueberry Scones, or even Cherry-Almond Scones, which gave me the inspiration to add almond extract--and I think that's what really makes these scones pop! The bride-to-be loved the treat and took the extras home to her groom, who ate about six in a row. I'd say that's a success!







No comments:

Post a Comment