Friday, September 16, 2011

Last-Minute Focaccia Pizza



I don't always make dinner for my family, since I'm really much more comfortable baking than I am cooking. But when I saw a package of focaccia dough from Fresh and Easy in the fridge that was about to expire this week, I had the idea to use ingredients we had lying around the kitchen, and bake up a pizza experiment: Last-Minute Focaccia Pizza

Ingredients

1 package Rosemary Focaccia dough
3/4 cup marinara sauce (I used Francesco Rinaldi Chunky Garden Pasta Sauce
5 mozzarella cheese sticks/string cheese, shredded (I simply tore into pieces)
1/4 cup mushrooms, cooked on the stove in butter and sherry wine
5 nitrate-free deli pepperoni slices
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese blend (even Parmesan alone would work)

1.) Remove the dough from the package and knead in your hands until a disc-like shape is formed. Stretch and flatten by holding the dough with the tips of your fingers and working them around the edge of the dough, letting the weight of the dough stretch it out into a larger disc (I learned this technique from a pizza-making class at Metro Pizza. If only I could learn how to toss the dough and catch it like a real pizza master...).

2.) Place the disc of dough on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Finish rounding it out into a pizza circle shape, then dimple the dough lightly with your fingers and prick it slightly with a fork. At this point you can also drizzle the dough with olive oil and a sprinkling of Kosher salt for added flavor.

3.) Spread the sauce evenly on the dough, leaving a slight edge for gripping the crust. Add mozzarella, garlic, cooked mushrooms, and pepperoni. Top with the Parmesan cheese blend, and be sure to remove any excess cheese from the cookie sheet that might have spilled over (it could burn in the oven).

4.) Bake in a 400 degree oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until the crust turns golden brown. Allow the pizza to cool slightly before slicing.

Quick, easy, and delicious! That's how I like all my recipes. The only downside to such a pizza-baking experiment is the sad fact that I happen to be lactose intolerant, and must therefore cautiously limit my intake of dairy. Thus, the majority of this supper went to my brothers. I did, however, sneak a teeny tiny piece to check the success of the overall dish, sticking primarily to the crust and mushrooms. The flavor was definitely present, and I'd be happy to whip up such a meal for my family again!

No comments:

Post a Comment