Monday, September 26, 2011

Caramel Apples!!!


Yes, this post requires at least three exclamation points in the title! The weather outside may still be in the triple digits and Vegas may not have a single tree with leaves that actually change color, but I can still consider it officially fall where I live: I've made my first batch of Caramel Apples.

It doesn't matter whether you pronounce it CAR-MEL or CARA-MEL, it's all delicious in my book. And yes, CAR-MEL (that's how I say it) does have a little dairy in it, but that, along with yogurt/frozen yogurt, are the two dessert risks I take in an otherwise lactose intolerant diet since they're made with skim milk--generally easier on the tummy than whole milk or cream. You can also use that logic to convince yourself this treat is almost healthy for you too! Skim = fat-free! Nuts, in moderation, are good for the heart! Apples are fruit! You get the idea.

So, why do Caramel Apples deserve three exclamation points? One for health and flavor, one for the great memories this seasonal treat invokes, and one for being the super easiest snack/dessert you can make! No actual baking required!

Can you tell I'm excited?

All you need are caramels, nuts, and apples, with a stove, some sticks, and water to complete the process. Follow along with me and you'll be making caramel apples before you know it!

Ingredients:

2 packages of caramels (the 11 oz bag). Hint: I use Kraft brand "Caramel Bits" because you don't have to spend hours unwrapping each candy!
1/4 cup water
15 small apples (approximately. I managed to get 17 little apples done, or you could try for 10 medium-sized ones. Granny Smith--the green ones--work best, but I also used Gala.)
15 short wooden skewers (available at most grocery stores, or substitute Popsicle sticks if that's all you can find)
Parchment or wax paper
Non-stick cooking spray
3 cups chopped nuts of your choice (I did about 2 cups peanuts and 1 cup almonds to create a variety of finished caramel apples)
Paper bowls or plates are helpful!



Directions:


1.) Rinse and pat dry your apples, snip off the stems, and then firmly place your skewers or sticks in the center of the apples where the stems were. Now would also be a good time to prep where your apples are going to end up landing. Cover a large plate, tray, or baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and spray the paper lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Pour your nuts into paper bowls or onto paper plates.


2.) Empty both bags of caramels into a medium-sized pot. Add the water and heat over a medium to low flame (Do not boil). It may take a few minutes for the caramels to melt, so just keep stirring until they start to get smooth. (Keep in mind, whatever spoon you use to stir will have caramel stuck to it for quite some time until you get a chance to thoroughly hand wash it off).


3.) Keeping the stove on low heat, take your apples by the skewer as a handle and dip them into the caramel. The deeper your caramel the more coating you'll be able to get, but I'm personally satisfied with just a light coating rather than fully submerging my apples (it allows me to make more of them and doesn't use up the caramel as quickly). Turn your apple to get the caramel to coat all sides as evenly as possible, but don't worry if it doesn't look perfect! This is a sloppy experiment! Expect to get messy and sticky and create apples that are messy and sticky too! My favorite trick is to just keep twisting the apple in the air over the pot until the caramel stops dripping.


4.) Immediately transfer your apple to your bowl or plate of nuts (I found that paper plates worked more easily after already doing half the batch in small paper bowls). Roll the apples in the nuts to get them to stick to all sides. The caramel will start to firm up right away, which makes it harder for nuts to stick, so make sure you coat the bottoms and sides as quickly as possible.

5.) Place the finished apple onto your prepared paper sheet and repeat until all apples are done! Refrigerate at least an hour (if you can wait) or dig in as soon as you're ready. I personally like my apples cold, and the fridge will harden up the caramel a little more. But hey, temptation is hard to resist. I usually end up snacking on the leftover pieces of nuts and caramel that remain stuck to the bottom of the plates or bowls once all the apples are done.







Keep in mind, I made these for my family to celebrate the first week of fall. But, IF we end up with any leftovers, I promise to bring them into work, where it will be a first-come, first-served free-for-all! Yes, I truly do love the fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment