Sunday, December 4, 2016

Gingerbread!



It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Facebook posts galore. There's a tree on each profile page, photos of tablescapes. I'll get behind if I don't find decor!

At least, that's how I felt this weekend. I had already planned to hang ornaments on my little Christmas tree when the week finally came to an end, but after seeing how far along my Facebook friends and real-life neighbors were in getting their Christmas spirit on, I felt it was time to do some holiday decorating and spontaneous Christmas activities of my own. I decked out my front yard tree in lights, watched a Yule Log video on Netflix, and decided to bake gingerbread cookies!

Now I've made gingerbread cookies before, but I didn't know if my experimental take on a recipe from childhood was necessarily the best gingerbread cookie recipe out there. Also, I love finding tried and true, tested recipes online. So I did a web search and stumbled onto The Most Wonderful Gingerbread Cookies on Food.com (special thanks to gingerkitten D for the post). I chose this result because the recipe had five stars, and I had all the ingredients.

It's a good thing I gave it a try--these cookies were delicious! Not too hard, not too soft, and the perfect amount of sweetness whether you frost them or eat them straight out of the oven! It fulfilled my craving for gingerbread and for holiday cheer--I even made my first (terrible, tiny) gingerbread house! Now you can make one too!

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour (I used self-rising flour since I had it)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I put in just slightly less)
1 Tablespoon ground ginger
1 and 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
6 Tablespoons softened, unsalted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:

1.) In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves, stirring to combine. In a separate, larger bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and egg with an electric mixer on medium speed until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Add in the molasses and vanilla, and continue to blend.

2.) Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in batches, beating with the electric mixer to combine until the flour disappears each time (be careful as the flour and the batter are likely to fly out of the bowl!). Once the flour is all incorporated and no longer visible, make sure the dough is just sticky enough to form into a small lump (I added a couple of Tablespoons of milk to help). Divide the dough in half and wrap each lump in plastic cling wrap to sit out at room temperature for about 2-3 hours.

3.) Place one lump of dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and begin to roll it out with a plastic rolling pin sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Once the dough is flat and thin (about 1/4-inch thick), you can cut out your cookie shapes with your favorite gingerbread men or other cookie cutters. Place them on a sheet of parchment paper about an inch apart each and then freeze for approximately 15-20 minutes to help keep them from spreading in the oven.

4.) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Transfer the parchment paper with the cold cookie dough to a baking sheet and bake the cookies for approximately 7 minutes (watch them carefully so they don't burn!). If you want to make a gingerbread house, save the second lump of dough to roll out and cut into squares (dough should keep in the fridge for up to four days if you're too tired to make it all at once, like me). Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 2-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Once the cookies are room temperature, you can frost them with your favorite colored icing.

I should warn you that making gingerbread cookies is pretty time consuming (you have to wait for the dough to sit at room temperature, wait for the cookies to chill, wait for the cookies to bake, and then wait for the cookies to cool to room temperature again so you can frost them without melting the icing). BUT, I will say they're totally worth it. I gave away non-iced but fresh-from-the-oven cookies to friends, went out to watch football, and came home to room temperature cookies I could frost and eat immediately.

Christmas cookies always feel festive, but gingerbread just has that extra special holiday feel. And despite the time it takes to make them, they're actually quite easy to put together. Now, making a gingerbread house--that's a LOT harder than it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment