Saturday, March 29, 2014

Halo-Halo!


If you haven't heard of "Halo-Halo," you're missing out on an amazing and unique treat that's perfect for the upcoming summer weather. A fun sounding word that literally means "mix-mix" in Tagalog, this milk and ice cream dessert originates from the Philippines but is said to have been introduced by the Japanese 100 years ago when they used the Philippines' local fruits to create new sweets to sell in their businesses. Today, the bright colors and creamy textures of Halo-Halo are still drawing in crowds of Filipinos and Americans alike.

Now, being sadly lactose intolerant myself, I can only have but a small taste of these heavily dairy-laden concoctions when I visit Filipino restaurants (and a few other local Asian restaurants that have similar desserts). But that doesn't mean I can't make this cool parfait for others! In the middle of March, I brought a whole tray of them into my Tagalog language class that I'm taking for fun (I love learning languages).

We were not required to bring Filipino food in to class, though it was strongly encouraged by my classmates. Being the baker and experimenter that I am, how could I not? I've made the Filipino dessert Bibingka in the past, but this time I thought I'd try something a little different. After seeing delicious pictures of Halo-Halo online, and finding most of the ingredients prepackaged in the Filipino market near my house, I decided it would be the perfect treat to bring, if I could just pull it off without everything melting ahead of time.

So I purchased my ingredients, used this handy WikiHow video as a guide to get the construction right, and started to put my Halo-Halo desserts together about 10 minutes before class (luckily I had a nearby fridge and freezer I could borrow to store the ice cream at work).

Ingredients:

Ube ice cream (it's purple yam ice cream, and it's delicious) or an ice cream flavor of choice
Jar of Kapuso Halo-Halo Fruit Mix and Beans (see image below as well)
Ice (small cubes or shaved--I bought my ice from Sonic since they use the small kind)
Lowfat evaporated milk (I used Carnation brand)
Ube or other flavored wafer stick cookies (if you can't find Filipino cookies like Stik-O's, regular Pepperidge Farm Pirouettes will do as well)


Directions:

1.) In a clear glass or plastic cup, drop in the fruit and beans from the Halo-Halo mix.

2.) Add shaved ice, filling the glasses almost to the brim.

3.) Pour evaporated milk over the ice (be careful, it may spill) and top with a scoop of ice cream and a cookie stick.

When you're ready to eat it, just take a spoon and "mix-mix" all the ingredients together. The result is such an amazing (and very sweet) flavor--the perfect way to cool down on a hot day and treat yourself to something delicious that you might not have thought to try.

Halo-Halo might be a little harder for casual blog readers to make if they don't have a Filipino market nearby, but I would have to say the results are worth doing a little shopping outside your comfort zone (many of the ingredients can be found online if you can't find them in stores). Once you have the ingredients, the quick steps make it so easy to impress your Filipino friends or introduce others to a new kind of summertime fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment