Sunday, December 29, 2013

Mickey Mouse (Trademarked) Waffles!


Yes, you can use this recipe for any kind of waffle--not just Mickey-shaped ones. (And yes, Mickey is probably trademarked). But after getting a Mickey Mouse waffle iron for Christmas I just had to test it out!

Again, the Internet gave me recipe options since I didn't have a normal waffle recipe memorized. With no buttermilk, I just searched other ingredients until I came across a recipe on Tasteofhome.com for "Fluffy Waffles." Sounded good to me!

Since I never have dairy milk around the house, I used lite coconut milk instead, halved the recipe (doing the best I could to "halve" an egg) and stuck with my go-to whole wheat pastry flour. I didn't bother with the Cinnamon Cream syrup in the original recipe either since 1) I can't digest cream, and 2) I love my waffles with pure maple syrup or soy whipped cream if I top them at all.

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 eggs, separated (use two yolks and just don't pour in all the whites)
1 cup lite coconut milk
1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons) canola oil plus extra for greasing

Directions

1.) Plug in your waffle maker and grease with canola oil (using a pastry brush or a paper towel) until it is evenly coated. Allow the waffle iron to come to full heat.

2.) In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, stirring lightly to combine. In another bowl, combine the egg yolks, coconut milk, and oil. Slowly add the wet and dry ingredients together in the larger bowl and stir until just combined.

3.) Stir the egg whites briefly in another bowl or cup, then add them in to the batter and stir everything just to combine. Once your waffle iron is at full heat, use an ice cream scoop or other large spoon to drop the batter onto the lower plate of the iron and allow to spread to all corners (or ears) of the mold.

4.) Close the waffle iron and allow to cook approximately 4-5 minutes, depending on the intensity of your iron. Mine came out pretty nicely at 5 minutes, though the first one was a little off, as per usual with waffles and pancakes. Serve with butter and maple syrup, and be sure to eat while still crisp!

These waffles can also be stored in the freezer to toast later in a toaster (challenging but possible if you stick them in twice, once on the face side and once for the ears). Or you can toast them in the oven set to about 250 degrees for a few minutes until warm again.

Yay for fun, delicious, holiday-time breakfasts!

1 comment:

  1. But after getting a Mickey Mouse waffle iron for Christmas I just had to test it out! Again, the Internet gave me recipe options since I didn't have a ... mousewafflemaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete