Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies



Another one for my grandma. After tasting my Classic Snickerdoodles, my grandma once again requested I bring her some home-baked cookies on our next visit, and I'm always eager to fulfill a request. With grandmas, sometimes classic is best (nothing super adventurous), so I stuck with a chocolate chip cookie recipe from the back of a bag of Nestle mini chocolate chips (quick and on hand). As usual, however, my adaptations included whole wheat pastry flour and adjusting the amount of chips to my liking. Another adjustment I would make is to bake these cookies for only about 8 minutes (the original recipe said 9-11 minutes!) since the bottoms did turn out just a little dark. But the flavor is there for sure, as classic as a chocolate chip cookie can get.

(Also, keep in mind that the "mini" in Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies stands for "mini chocolate chips" and not "mini cookies." These things spread wider than you'd expect!)

Ingredients:

1 and 1/8 cups sifted whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick of butter, softened
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
6 Tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
Just under 1 cup of mini chocolate chips

Directions:

1.) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.

2.) In a separate bowl, combine the butter, sugar, vanilla and egg. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and beat to thoroughly combine. Then add the chocolate chiops and mix again.

3.) Use a Tablespoon to drop mounds of batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving some room between the cookies to allow for spreading. Bake about 8 minutes (or 9 if you want them crisper).

4.) Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool, but enjoy while they're still warm.

Unfortunately, my grandma had to go to the ER before our next visit, so I gave her the cookies in her hospital room. While she wasn't eating much, she made a point to bite into and keep down at least a portion of one cookie, which is not only her own kind of praise for my efforts but a good sign that she can regain her appetite and get more calories in. I hope she heals quickly and is back to her lively, cookie-requesting self soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment