Saturday, October 22, 2011

Crispy Rice Treats!



I can't tell you how excited I was to discover Rice Krispies Gluten Free cereal! Not because I can't eat gluten (thank goodness for that--lactose intolerance is enough to deal with), but because it's actually made with brown rice! As a whole grain, brown rice makes for a healthier option than white rice, and I sure didn't expect to find it in a name-brand cereal at Wal-Mart Market. What does this mean? It means I can listen to the familiar "snap," "crackle," and "pop" of one of my favorite childhood cereals again, knowing it might actually have health benefits! It also means I can make Rice Krispies Treats for a Red Rock hiking excursion tomorrow!

Oh how I've missed Rice Krispies Treats! Ever since Kelloggs started making them with the processed high fructose corn syrup sweetener, I've stayed away. According to Kelloggs.com, however, they don't use HFCS anymore (yay!). But given the long list of ingredients and preservatives (take a look), it might just be better to make your own anyway. They only take about 10 minutes, come out warm and gooey, and--if you make them with gluten-free brown rice--can actually have some health benefits. A treat. With health benefits. Plus, oh my gosh, it's fun! Who doesn't love to get sticky?

To whip these out I just used the recipe on the back of the cereal box, but halved the ingredients since I only had half a bag of marshmallows left in the cupboard--about two heaping cups. (That's what happens when you don't replenish your supply after making marshmallow leaf wreaths to go on pumpkin pie...). The halved recipe makes about a dozen small treats (2-inch squares), or four really big treats. I've also made them before with different whole grain cereals such as Kashi GOLEAN and Erewhon brand, but it just tastes the most authentic when made with Kellogg's Rice Krispies (which I believe is trademarked, but I don't know how to type the little trademark circle symbol on this blog...).

Thus, without further ado...Crispy Rice Treats! (so I don't have to worry about that trademark symbol...).

Ingredients:

3 cups puffed brown rice cereal (like Rice Krispies Gluten Free)
2 heaping cups of large marshmallows
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons butter
Nonstick cooking spray

Directions:

1.) In a large pan or skillet (I used a wok!) melt the butter on low heat, then add the marshmallows and stir until all the marshmallows are melted (it will be gooey, and kind of lump together, so it helps to spray your wooden spoon or other utensil with nonstick cooking spray and stir constantly once the marshmallows start to lose their shape).

2.) Remove the marshmallows from the heat, add your cereal and continue to stir until the rice puffs are evenly coated. It should look something like this:

Gooey, beautiful mess.

3.) Spray a flat container (like a brownie pan) with nonstick cooking spray and press the gooey mixture into it until the treats are flat. I like to put a plastic baggie sprayed with nonstick cooking spray on my hand to press the mixture down and shape it into something resembling rectangular.

4.) Allow the treats to cool, then cut them into squares and share with your friends! The original recipe recommends serving them the day they're made to preserve freshness, but they should keep at least a day or two longer in a sealed container. After that, they'll start to get hard, so eat 'em up fast! (Which shouldn't be a problem).

Next experiment I might try more fun shapes (pumpkin or sushi anyone?) test out a peanut butter base instead of regular butter, or dip the finished products half in dark or white chocolate to see just how tasty these brown rice treats can get! The results of such experiments will most assuredly appear on this blog, even if I end up eating the evidence....

No comments:

Post a Comment